Connect with us

Metro

7 Confirmed Dead In Calabar Carnival Bikers Parade

Published

on

The Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC), on  Tuesday confirmed that seven persons have died while 29 others were severely injured in the tragic incident which occured during the Bikers parade, an intergral part of the annual Calabar Carnival held Tuesday.

Fidel Info reports that the Sector Commander of the Corps, Maikano Hassan who confirmed the incident said seven persons have died so far.

The accident occurred in front of Mosque in Bogobiri along Mary Slessor.

The Sector Commander, giving details, revealed that the number of injured involved in the accident were 21 male adults, three women, two male children and three female children.

He said that the injured were rushed to Naval hospital and the University of Calabar Teaching Hospital , General Hospital for immediate medical attention.

Speaking further , he said that the remains of the dead have been deposited in morgues of two hospitals in Calabar.

He said, “The incident occurred when a Toyota Camry car lost control and rammed into crowd of onlookers during the carnival.”

“While the injured are receiving treatment, those who died have been deposited in the morgue of the Naval hospital and the University of Calabar Teaching hospital.”

The Governor of Cross River, Ben Ayade has condoled with families of those who lost their lives and promised to bring to book the driver of the vehicle that caused the accident.

Gov Ayade who expressed sadness over the ugly incident where an errant motorist ploughed into a crowd that thronged the Carnival route to watch the bikers parade.

A statement by the Special Adviser on Media and Chief Press Secretary, Barrister Christian Ita said Governor Ayade is devasted by the incident and has given the Order for the motorist to be apprehended. The suspect is currently on the run.

While sympathising with the victims of the accident and their families, the governor, according to the statement, ordered an immediate investigation to unravel how the motorist was able to get through security barricades to have access to the routes which were closed to the public.

Ita said the Governor directed the immediate discontinuation of the Bikers parade in honour of the victims of the accident.

Governor Ayade pleaded for citizens’ support and urged everyone to be calm while the security agencies did their work.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Metro

Abia Police Begin Massive Arrests

Published

on

As a result of the reported shooting of some police officers nearby, there have been mounting worries about the widespread arrests of residents in the Ndiegoro neighborhood of Aba by members of the Abia State Police Command.

Fidel Info reports that following the murder of a police inspector last Wednesday by local gunmen, two of the assailants were also killed, these arrests were made.

Governor Okezie Ikpeazu “condemns in its entirety, any act of hostility against any security agent anywhere in the state, let alone the assassination of a police officer under any pretext whatever,” according to Onyebuchi Ememanka, Chief Press Secretary to the governor.

“The peace and security we all enjoy here and which has set Abia State apart as an oasis of peace is largely attributable to the gallantry and commitment of the officers of the different security agencies in the state.

“It is therefore preposterous and unacceptable that the same officers who strive day and night for our safety will receive any form of hostility from the citizens.”

The Governor, Ememanka said, “assures that government will work with the police in the state to fish out the perpetrators of that heinous act and ensure that they face the law as appropriate.”

Ikpeazu further assured the citizens in the area that his administration is already in talks with all the service commanders of the different security agencies in the State with a view to bringing the situation under control, and ensuring that peace and tranquillity return to the area, adding “Innocent citizens must be protected at all costs. That is the position of the law.”

Ikpeazu urged all to remain calm and go about their businesses without fear, let nor hindrance.

When contacted, the command’s Public Relations Officer, Geoffrey Ogbonna, said that he was not aware of any government statement on arrests, stating “Somebody who loses a thing will be looking for it.”

“All I know is that they are raiding perceived black spots in the area.”

Continue Reading

Metro

Yoruba Nation Rally: One Fatal Casualty Confirmed

Published

on

Benjamin Hundeyin, the public relations officer for the Lagos State Command Police, has verified that one person passed away during the unrest that took place in the Ojota region of the state early on Monday.

Fidel Info reports that Today’s turmoil started when the Yoruba Nation protesters assembled in Ojota for a demonstration.

“In the early hours of today, miscreants masquerading as Yoruba Nation agitators came out in their hundreds, disrupting social and commercial activities at Ojota area of the State.”

“A team of police officers, comprising Alausa Division and the Raid Respond Squad promptly stepped in to disperse the unlawful gathering and prevent a breakdown of law and order. The miscreants attacked the police, shooting, and destroyed two vehicles in the process.”

“One person has been confirmed dead, while two police officers shot by the miscreants are currently receiving treatment. Four suspects have been arrested and investigations have commenced.”

“Meanwhile, normalcy has been restored to the area. Lagosians are urged to go about their lawful businesses as measures have been put in place to prevent further breakdown of law and order; and keen monitoring of the situation continues.”

“It is imperative to state unequivocally that the Lagos State Police Command will not allow any person or group of persons, under whatever guise, disrupt the peace currently enjoyed in the State,” the PPRO said in a statement on Twitter.

He added that, “The RRS officers and patrol vehicles were shot at by several pump-action-rifle-wielding miscreants.”

Continue Reading

Metro

Police Kills Robbery Suspect In Oshodi

Published

on

One robbery suspect was killed, according to the Lagos State Police Command, as his group was exchanging gunfire with the police force’s agents in the Oshodi area.

Fidel Info reports that SP Benjamin Hundeyin, the command’s public relations officer, confirmed the event on Thursday to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN).

According to Hundeyin, the incident took place on Akinpelu-Oshodi Road on December 24 at 3 a.m.

He claimed that during a stop-and-search operation, the anti-robbery operators of the Akinpelu police division came upon the robbery group.

The police responded quickly to the suspected armed robbers’ fire after they spotted them and opened fire on them, according to the police spokesman.

According to Hundeyin, two other suspects were wounded by bullets but were able to flee, while one of the suspects was fatally shot during the incident.

He said efforts are on to arrest the fleeing suspects, and he appealed to members of the public and health workers to report to the police any one found with bullet wounds.

The Police PRO said one locally-made pistol, one Elepaq generator, and 15 computer UPS were recovered from the suspect. 

Continue Reading

Trending