Court Extends Order Stopping Buhari, NBC From Shutting Down 53 Broadcast Stations
The Federal High Court in Lagos has extended the order stopping President Muhammadu Buhari and the National Broadcasting Commission from revoking the licenses of 53 broadcast stations in the country and shutting down the stations for allegedly failing to renew their licenses.
Honourable Justice Akintayo Aluko (Court 8) had on 29 August 2022 granted an order of interim injunction following the hearing of an argument on motion exparte by Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project and Nigerian Guild of Editors.
The order was granted pending the hearing of the Motion on Notice for interlocutory injunction.
When the case came up before the Court for hearing today, Honourable Justice Daniel Emeka Osiagor extended the order of interim injunction pending the hearing of the Motion on Notice and adjourned the case to 26th October 2022 for the hearing of the originating summons.
The Court extended the order of interim injunction following the hearing of an argument by SERAP and NGE counsel, Ebun-Olu Adegboruwa, SAN.
SERAP and NGE had in August filed a lawsuit against Buhari and NBC, asking the court for “a declaration that section 10(a) of the Third Schedule to the NBC Act used by NBC to threaten to revoke the licenses of 53 broadcast stations and to shut down the stations is unconstitutional and unlawful, as it violates freedom of expression.”
In the suit, SERAP and NGE had asked the court for “an order of interim injunction restraining Buhari and NBC, their agents from revoking the licenses of 53 broadcast stations in the country and shutting their down operations, pending the hearing and determination of the motion on notice filed contemporaneously in this suit.”
The suit followed the decision by NBC to revoke the licenses of the 53 broadcast stations and shut down their operations within 24 hours over alleged N2.6 billion debt.
Imo State Labour Party Gubernatorial Aspirant Found Dead
Chief Humphrey Anumudu, a Labour Party aspirant in the upcoming Governorship primaries in Imo State, has been found dead in his house.
Fidel Info reports that The aspirant died in his house in Lagos after he had returned from an LP meeting at the party national headquarters in Abuja on Friday.
A native of Mbieri Ancient Kingdom in Mbaitoli Local Government Area of Imo state, Anumudu was reportedly found dead in his house in what family sources described as a “spiritual attack.”
As a multi-billionaire businessman cum politician, he has been contesting for the governorship seat of the state since 1998.
He was said to be the true winner of the Peoples Democratic Party governorship primary in the state in 1998 before the ticket was ceded to Achike Udenwa who went on to rule the state between 1999 and 2007.
Since then he had been contesting for the number one seat of the state. In 2019 he was the Zenith Labour party governorship candidate.
A close friend of the deceased said that he died around 5:30 pm on Friday.
The late politician had already paid the sum of 25 million Naira for Labour Party’s Governorship form for the November 11th 2023 Guber contest.
Chief Anumudu, a respected legal luminary and an astute politician was also the Chief Executive Officer of Globe Motors.
He contested for the Governorship election in the past under the All Progressives Grand Alliance.
INEC Vows To Prosecute Perpetrators Of Violence In 2023 Elections
The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has promised to prosecute perpetrators of electoral violence in the just-concluded 2023 general elections.
Fidel Info reports that The Chief Press Secretary to the INEC Chairman, Rotimi Oyekanmi, stated this on Friday in Abuja, the nation’s capital.
Oyekanmi said the prosecution of electoral offenders and their sponsors will curb the prevalence of violence in the nation’s elections.
He also called for the need for the establishment of the Electoral Offences Commission and Tribunal to prosecute such offenders and their sponsors.
The INEC boss spokesman noted that if the new commission was established, electoral offenders and their sponsors would reconsider their actions.
Oyekanmi, however, said the Commission has succeeded in prosecuting a few electoral offenders, but their sponsors have been largely untouched.
He said, “Electoral violence should not be tolerated. That is why the commission has been calling for the establishment of the Electoral Offences Commission and Tribunal, specifically to try cases related to infractions associated with elections.
“In fact, stakeholders have also been calling for this tribunal for many years, especially after the 2011 general elections. I believe strongly that if perpetrators of electoral violence and their sponsors know that they will give account for their misdeeds, they will think twice.”
“The commission has succeeded in prosecuting a few electoral offenders, but their sponsors have been largely untouched. We need to change this.”
JUST IN: CBN Orders Banks To Circulate Cash This Weekend
As part of a coordinated effort to facilitate the circulation of banknotes of various denominations, the Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN, has confirmed the evacuation of banknotes from its vaults to commercial banks throughout the nation.
Fidel Info reports that Also, the CBN has ordered all commercial banks to be open on Saturdays and Sundays. (more…)
2023 Elections7 days ago
AdamawaDecides: Close Race Between APC And PDP
News2 weeks ago
Breaking: Terrible Accident Involving A Train And BRT Bus In Lagos
News4 weeks ago
BREAKING: CEO Lanre Shittu Dies Aged 65
2023 Elections5 days ago
Here’s Why INEC Declared Adamawa Elections Inconclusive
2023 Elections4 weeks ago
NaijaDecides2023: Tinubu Wins Obasanjo’s Polling Unit
2023 Elections1 week ago
LagosDecides: Funke Akindele Loses Polling Unit To APC
2023 Elections6 days ago
APC Campaign DG Murdered In Rivers State
News5 days ago
Ramadan Might Start On Wednesday- Sultan