Connect with us

Health

Nigeria Closes Embassy In Mexico, As 6 test Positive For COVID-19

Published

on

Due to a new COVID-19 epidemic, which has infected six members of the diplomatic staff, the Nigerian Embassy in Mexico has issued a seven-day closure.

The Nigerian ambassador, Mr. Adejare Bello, gave the order for the embassy to close starting today.

The ambassador reaffirmed that the impacted employees are presently receiving the best medical care possible and said that they are in good hands with qualified medical experts who have assured him that the situation is under control.

The Special Adviser to the Ambassador on Media, Abimbola Tooki, disclosed this in a statement on Sunday titled, ‘Nigerian Embassy in Mexico shuts down due to fresh outbreak of COVID-19.’

According to the part of the statement, “The closure of the mission is to forestall further spread of the virus.

“A total of 6.82 million cases with 328,000 deaths have so far been recorded in Mexico since the outbreak of the virus.

“Bello disclosed that appropriate quarters like the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Abuja and that of Mexico have been duly notified of this development.

“The temporary closure, according to the ambassador, will allow the Embassy to be fumigated and all other precautions put in place while the closure lasts.

“Bello also disclosed that all home-based officers and the local staff of the mission have been directed to work from home pending further directives.

“Mexico has administered at least 209 million doses of COVID-19 vaccines so far. Assuming every person needs two doses, that’s enough to have vaccinated about 82.2% of the country’s population.

“The temporary closure will allow the Embassy to be fumigated among other precautionary measures.”

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Health

COVID-19: China Announces New Death, New Cases

Published

on

China announced its first new death from COVID-19 in nearly half a year as strict new measures are imposed in Beijing and across the country to ward against new outbreaks.

Fidel Info reports that The death of the 87-year-old Beijing man was the first reported by the National Health Commission since May 26, bringing the total death toll to 5,227. The previous death was reported in Shanghai, which underwent a major springtime surge in cases.

China, today, announced 24,215 new cases detected over the previous 24 hours, the vast majority of them asymptomatic.

While China has an overall vaccination rate of more than 92% having received at least one dose, that number is considerably lower among the elderly — particularly those over age 80 — where it falls to just 65%. The commission did not give details on the vaccination status of the latest deceased.

That vulnerability is considered one reason why China has mostly kept its borders closed and is sticking with its rigid “zero-COVID” policy that seeks to wipe out infections through lockdowns, quarantines, case tracing and mass testing, despite the impact on normal life and the economy and rising public anger at the authorities.

China says its tough approach has paid off in much lower numbers of cases and deaths than in other countries, such as the U.S.

Continue Reading

Health

WHO Approves Two New Medicines For Ebola Treatment

Published

on

The World Health Organisation (WHO) has recommended two medicines for the treatment of Ebola virus disease, following successes in clinical trials.

In its new guidelines for Ebola, the global public health body said monoclonal antibodies mAb114 (known as Ansuvimab or Ebanga) and REGN-EB3 (Inmazeb) have demonstrated clear benefits for people who have tested positive for Ebola.

This includes older persons, pregnant and breastfeeding women, children, and newborns whose mothers were confirmed to have Ebola within the first seven days after birth.

The clinical trials were conducted during Ebola outbreaks.

WHO said the largest trial was carried out in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, demonstrating that the highest level of scientific rigour can be applied even during Ebola outbreaks in difficult contexts.

The UN agency also provided recommendations regarding therapeutics that should not be used as treatments, which include ZMapp and remdesivir.

The new guidance, published simultaneously in English and French, will support healthcare providers caring for Ebola patients and policymakers involved in outbreak preparedness and response.

The clinical trials were conducted during Ebola outbreaks.

WHO said the largest trial was carried out in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, demonstrating that the highest level of scientific rigour can be applied even during Ebola outbreaks in difficult contexts.

The UN agency also provided recommendations regarding therapeutics that should not be used as treatments, which include ZMapp and remdesivir.

The new guidance, published simultaneously in English and French, will support healthcare providers caring for Ebola patients and policymakers involved in outbreak preparedness and response.

It complements clinical care guidance that outlines the optimised supportive care that Ebola patients should receive – from the relevant tests to administer to managing pain, nutrition and co-infections, and other approaches that put patients on the best path to recovery.

“This therapeutic guide is a critical tool to fight Ebola,” said Dr Richard Kojan, co-chair of the expert group selected by WHO to develop the guidelines, and president of ALIMA, The Alliance for International Medical Action.

“As with other infectious diseases, timeliness is key, and people should not hesitate to consult health workers as quickly as possible to ensure they receive the best care possible.”

Fellow co-chair Robert Fowler from the University of Toronto in Canada noted that Ebola used to be perceived as “a near certain killer,” but advances in care and therapeutics over the past decade have revolutionised the treatment of the disease.

“Provision of best supportive medical care to patients, combined with monoclonal antibody treatment – MAb114 or REGN-EB3 – now leads to recovery for the vast majority of people,” he added.

As access to these treatments remains challenging, especially in poor areas, WHO said they should be available where they are most needed, namely in locations where active Ebola outbreaks are occurring or where the threat of an outbreak is high or very likely.

“We have seen incredible advances in both the quality and safety of clinical care during Ebola outbreaks,” said Janet Diaz, lead of the clinical management unit in WHO’s Health Emergencies programme.”

(NAN)

Continue Reading

Health

JUST IN: Ogun Govt Records Four Fresh Cases Of Monkeypox

Published

on

The Ogun State government has confirmed four new cases of monkeypox, bringing the total cases recorded in the state to seven

Health commissioner Tomi Coker confirmed the development in a statement on Friday in Abeokuta.

Ms Coker stated that two cases were discovered in Ota, within Ado-Odo/Ota Local Government Area, while Abeokuta North and Abeokuta South recorded one case each.

He added that the Disease Surveillance and Notification Officers (DSNOs) in the affected local government areas had carried out line-listing and contact tracing, adding that the patients are already on prescribed medications.

The commissioner advised residents to avoid direct contact with body fluid, or sore of an infected live or dead animal, persons or contaminated items.

She stressed the need for regular hand washing with soap and water, especially after visiting or caring for a sick person.

Ms Coker urged residents to remain calm and assured that necessary measures are being put in place to curb the spread of the disease.

(NAN)

Continue Reading

Trending