Buhari Commends Security Agencies Over Operations Against Nnamdi Kanu, Sunday Igboho
President Muhammadu Buhari has commended the collaboration between security agencies on the operations against Nnamdi Kanu and Sunday Igboho.
His spokesman, Garba Shehu, said they executed with great synchronization with arrests of individuals who had inflicted pain and hardships on fellow citizens.
Shehu, in a statement, noted that Kanu and the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) leaders are known for murderous actions and virulent messaging.
He confirmed the “international operation” against Kanu resulted in his hand over to the National Intelligence Agency (NIA) and then repatriation.
The aid said the violence inspired by IPOB has led to hundreds of fatalities, particularly targeted at Government assets and Law Enforcement Agents.
“There have been at last count, fifty separate violent attacks, heavily concentrated in the South-East, which heaped further hardship on our honest and hardworking citizens, preventing them from earning their livelihood and going about their normal lives.”
Shehu confirmed that the government had been monitoring the activities of IPOB and had strong cause to believe that their funding sources include proceeds of suspected illicit criminal activities.
The statement hailed the raid of the residence of Igboho, “who has also been conducting acts of terror and disturbing the peace under the guise of protecting fellow kinsmen”.
Shehu added that his seditious utterances and antics, publicly expressed, have overtime morphed into very hateful and vile laden speeches.
The government respects fundamental rights of citizens to express their views and recognizes this as a democratic tenet, he stressed.
“However, any attempt to build an armoury coupled with plans either subtle or expressed to undermine our unity as a nation will not be condoned.
“Mr. President’s directives to Security Services regarding anyone seen to be carrying arms, particularly AK-47 are clear and require no further illumination.
“Assault weapons are not tools of peace loving people and as such, regardless of who they are and where they are from, the Security Agencies should treat them all the same.”
Shehu said the successes of our security agencies must be commended as they have demonstrated significant deftness, guile and secrecy in carrying out these missions.
Lai Mohammed bags international advocacy job
Ballard Partners, an international governmental affairs firm has appointed Alhaji Lai Mohammed, immediate past Minister of Information and Culture, as Managing Partner of its first office in Africa.
In a statement issued by the firm and made available to newsmen on Wednesday in Abuja, Mohammed is to serve as Managing Partner of its newly opened Abuja office and its satellite office in Lagos.
With its headquarters in Washington, Ballard Partners specialises in all aspects of governmental and public affairs, including legislative and executive agency advocacy.
In the statement, Brian Ballard, the firm’s President and founder said they were opening their first African office in Nigeria to expand the firm’s international footprint to three continents.
He said the opening of the office, would also help in building upon the important work they had done on behalf of African nations and companies in Africa and the U.S.
On the choice of the former minister, Ballard said that Mohammed “has a long record of public service and is one of the most respected officials in the country.
Adding that “his outstanding reputation and exceptional experience will be invaluable to our firm”.
Ballard recalled that since the advent of Nigeria’s fourth republic in 1999, Mohammed played key roles in the political life of his country as Chief of Staff to President Bola Ahmed Tinubu as Governor of Lagos.
He added that Mohammed was also the National Spokesperson for the Opposition for over a decade (2005-2015) and a candidate for the Governorship of Kwara State in the 2003 General Elections.
The statement also reflected the former Minister’s happiness in accepting the international job.
“I am very pleased to join Ballard Partners and to open the firm’s first office in Africa,”
“Ballard Partners has an impeccable reputation internationally and is well known for its success representing African countries and American firms in Africa.
The opportunities in Nigeria are substantial and I look forward to helping the firm’s clients achieve their objectives,” Mohammed was quoted as saying.
Born in Oro, Kwara state, Mohammed graduated with second class upper honors with dual degrees in modern European languages (majoring in French) and law.
He was called to the Nigerian bar in 1986.
The former Minister has also been awarded several diplomas in different parts of the world including Diplomes d’Etudes Francaise 3ieme Degree in both Dakar, Senegal and Vichy France
Man Utd takeover: Sheikh Jassim submits final take-it-or-leave-it bid directly to Glazers – and sets strict deadline
The Qatari group led by Sheikh Jassim bin Hamad Al-Thani have reportedly submitted a final bid to the Glazers for the takeover of Manchester United
The offer, as revealed by the Daily Mail, is Sheikh Jassim’s fifth since the takeover process began back in February, and has been made as part of a ‘take it or leave it’ warning to United’s American owners. A deadline of Friday has reportedly been set by the Qatari group, up to which point the bid will stand – with no further negotiations to take place in between.
Indeed, Sheikh Jassim has reportedly submitted the bid directly to the Glazers and the Raine Group, the American bankers overseeing the saga. The move is an attempt to gazump the rival offer from British billionaire Sir Jim Ratcliffe, who has previously been reported as leading the way. His bid would allegedly allow for the continued involvement of the Glazers for an extended period, much to the hatred of the United fan base.
The take-it-or-leave-it offer put forward by the Qataris is also an attempt to put an end to the protracted nature of this takeover saga. United’s American owners have come under increasing scrutiny for their delaying of the process, with original deadlines set for the end of April. The uncertainty created has impacted the transfer strategy led by manager Erik ten Hag, as well as the club’s ability to tie down key players to new contracts.
It remains to be seen, then, whether the Glazers’ resolve is tested to the point where they accept the Qataris’ eleventh-hour offer. Should they reject the bid, which is said to be lower than their £6 billion asking price, or not respond in time, it could be a sign that they actually are leaning in the favour of Ratcliffe – and a potential prolonged stay behind the scenes.
Man Utd winger Antony accused of ‘domestic violence, threat and bodily injury’ by former partner
Manchester United winger Antony has been accused of “domestic violence, threat and bodily injury” by a former partner in his native Brazil.
Brazilian publication Globo Esporte is reporting that Gabriela Cavallin, who had a relationship with the 23-year-old forward in 2022, has filed a police report in Sao Paulo.
The report states that she claims to have been assaulted by Antony on May 20 – a day on which the Brazil international turned out for United in a Premier League fixture with Bournemouth at the Vitality Stadium.
The report also includes “photos of abrasions and threatening messages”, while Cavallin is said to have discussed previous aggressive behaviour from Antony.
Cavallin is now calling upon authorities in Brazil to take “an urgent protective measure” while further evidence in the case is gathered.
Globo Esporte further reports that Antony had a relationship with the woman in question during 2022, with Cavallin revealing on social media in June 2022 that she had suffered a miscarriage when the pair were expecting their first child.
No comment has been made by Antony, his representatives or Manchester United
Entertainment4 weeks ago
BREAKING: Yoruba Nollywood actor, Murphy Afolabi, is dead
Governance1 week ago
JUST IN: Tinubu Makes More Appointments
Crime3 weeks ago
EFCC chairman, Bawa begged me for $2million – Gov Matawalle
Governance3 weeks ago
Breaking: Central Bank Gets New Governor
Governance3 weeks ago
Buhari Makes Fresh Appointment 12 Days To Handover
Entertainment3 weeks ago
JUST IN: Popular Nollywood Actor Murphy Afolabi Is Dead
Entertainment3 weeks ago
BREAKING: Hilda Baci Breaks Guinness World Cooking Marathon Record
General3 weeks ago
8-year-old migrant girl dies in US custody