Osun State Governor Adegboyega Oyetola, on Thursday flagged off Osun Food Support Scheme aimed at mitigating the excruciating impact of the Covid-19 pandemic on vulnerable citizens in the State.
The FidelinfoNews gathered that the governor said the initiative is another way of keeping the government’s promise of prioritising the welfare and general well-being of the people.
The scheme which begins this month, will run till the end of the current administration and is designed to cater for the critical needs of 30,000 poor and vulnerable citizens, including youths, widows, the aged and people living with disabilities across the State on a monthly basis.
The FidelinfoNews also gathered that beneficiaries were drawn across the nooks and crannies of the State, using the World Bank-sponsored Social Register and it would cater for the targets’ needs in a just and equitable manner.
Addressing the people at the flag-off ceremony held at the open field, Local Government Service Commission, Abere, Osogbo, Oyetola said the scheme was also a fulfilment of the administration’s avowed determination to provide a buffer for the vulnerable, especially those, who, on account of the impact of the Coronavirus pandemic, had been thrown off balance economically and emotionally.
He stressed that the administration’s ultimate goal, apart from feeding the vulnerable in the interim, was to also boost local food production and achieve food security in the long run.
The Governor disclosed that the food support scheme has been carefully calibrated, in line with the Administration’s policy of promoting small, micro and medium businesses to boost the local economy, saying, “to this end, all food items will be sourced locally to further encourage our local farmers and businesses”.
The Governor Said “Today’s event, is therefore, an eloquent affirmation that we are a responsible and compassionate Administration that knows and feels your pains and silent struggles and we will not relent until we provide the needed relief required to support you to regaining your balance.
“Through this Scheme, in the first instance, 30,000 beneficiaries across our State will be reached and provided with 5kg of food bags as a token of support.
“To make the exercise hitch-free and transparent, we have constituted a committee made of relevant State functionaries and key stakeholders with representations from the various religious bodies, trade groups, youth groups, minority groups, among others.
“We are adopting the use of the World Bank-sponsored Social Register to cater for beneficiaries in a manner that is just and equitable across the various nook and crannies of our State.
“It should be noted that this programme is part of our overall strategic response to the challenges thrusted on us by the pandemic. You will recall that during the lockdown, we embarked on massive distribution of palliatives to vulnerable households across our State.
“We also followed this up with our post-COVID economic recovery plan targeted at empowering over 5,000 SMEs with relevant skills and requisite funding in partnership with the Bank of Industry. Through the Ministry of Youth and Sports, we have also been facilitating loans to businesses in the State and to support youth entrepreneurship.
“It is our earnest expectations that, in no distant time, we would be able to have our farmers produce enough farm produce, especially staple foods that are commonly consumed within our locality for the Food Support Scheme where government becomes the off-taker,” Oyetola added.
In his remarks, the Commissioner for Regional Integration and Special Duties, Olalekan Badmus, said the gesture would serve as a good means to stem the negative tide of social vices, family breakdown, emotional disturbances and reduce rate of destitution that might emanate from lack of food among the vulnerable.
He disclosed that the first phase of the initiative had been designed to cater for the needs of the 570,000 persons in the State which in turn would have a greater impact on the economy of the State as all food items would be sourced locally.
Badmus commended the Governor for taking the welfare and well-being of the citizens as priority.
Speaking at the event, Ooni of Ife, Oba Adeyeye Enitan Ogunwusi; Ataoja of Osogbo, Oba Jimoh Olanipekun and Oluwo of Iwo, Oba Abdul-Rasheed Akanbi, lauded the government’s gesture and described it as timely and prompt.
They attributed the large presence of traditional rulers to the hands of fellowship extended to them by the government just as they implored the representatives of the beneficiaries to do justice in the distribution of the stimulus package.
In their separate remarks, some of the beneficiaries thanked the Governor for the kind gesture which they described as unprecedented in the history of the State.
Those in attendance were the Deputy Governor, Mr. Benedict Alabi; a former Deputy Governor, Mrs. Titilayo Laoye Ponle; the Speaker, House of Assembly, Hon. Timothy Owoeye; the Nigerian Ambassador to Mexico, Hon. Adejare Bello; Secretary to the State Government, Prince Wole Oyebamiji; Chief of Staff to the Governor, Dr. Charles ‘Diji Akinola; Head of Service, Dr. Olowogboyega Oyebade; State Acting APC Chairman, Prince Gboyega Famodun, among others.
BREAKING: First Class Kaduna Emir Dies
Emir of Lere in Lere Local Government area of Kaduna state, and a former army General,His Highness, Abubakar Garba Muhammed is dead.
The FidelinfoNews gathered that the first class Kaduna monarch died on Saturday morning, according to family sources.
Sources also confirm that the traditional ruler will be buried by 5pm today.
BREAKING: Saraki Committee Fails, As Violence Mars PDP Northwest Congress
The Ongoing Northwest Zonal Congress of the People’s Democratic Party has suffered a setback as violence erupted at venue of the Congress holding in Kaduna.
The FidelinfoNews gathered that the cause of the latest round of violence has not been determined as at the time of filing this report.
It will be recalled that the Bukola Saraki led reconciliation committee had given the greenlight for the Northwest and Southwest Congress to hold, as it claimed efforts to reconcile factions had been successful.
In the same vein Saraki Committee recently suffered another failure when the late Buruji Kashamu faction of the PDP in Ogun state defected to the ruling APC despite the committee declaring end to years of feud in the state’s chapter.
Bauchi Jailbreak Attempt Caused By Mobile Phone – NCS
The Nigeria Correctional Service has disclosed that the attempted jail break at the Bauchi Correctional centre was as a result of an attempt to smuggle a mobile phone into the centre.
The FidelinfoNews gathered that an officer tried to smuggle in a mobile phone for inmates, which is clearly illegal and against the rules.
Reports indicates that a scuffle ensued when inmates who wanted to benefit from the deal had a face off with other officers who busted the plan and enforced the rules.
The commission also affirmed that 2 officers and 5 inmates sustained injuries in the disturbance, and have been treated and discharged.
The restive inmates have also been put under control while the staff involved is undergoing interrogation, as ordered by the State Controller. This regrettable development is being investigated.
News3 weeks ago
RE: AbdulRazaq Breaks Own World Record, Appoints 24 Year Old #EndSars Panelist as Commissioner
News4 days ago
Kwara Govt Announces Recruitment Into Civil Service
News3 weeks ago
Breaking: AbdulRazaq Sends Names Of Commissioner Nominees to KWHA
News4 weeks ago
Breaking: Kwara APC Youth Leader Dies
News2 weeks ago
Court Throws Out Suit Challenging Samari’s Kwara APC Chairmanship Status
Politics3 weeks ago
APC Inaugurates High Powered Contact/Strategy Committee
News4 days ago
BREAKING: ASUP Strike Begins
News5 days ago
Kwara North Endorses AbdulRazaq For Second Term